Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Two Criminals

I have been reading Max Lucado's book "Cast of Characters". It is a wonderful and encouraging read if you need a good book I highly recommend this one.



So this is a little excerpt from a chapter and one that really touched my heart. I hope you enjoy it.


John Wilkes Booth shot and killed Abe Lincoln, Edwin Thomas Booth rescued Abe Lincon's son, Robert Todd from a fall in front of a moving train. Both brothers, same mom and dad, same profession and passion, yet one chose life and the other death.
It is that way throughout history and in the pages of Scripture:
Abel and Cain - Able chose God, Cain death and God let him.
Abraham and Lot - Abraham chose God, Lot chose Sodom and God let him.
David and Saul - David chose God, Saul chose power and God let him.
Peter and Judas - Both denied Jesus, Peter sought mercy and Judas death and God let him.
God allows us to make our own choices:
*a narrow gate or wide gate
*a narrow road or a wide road
*the big crowd or the small crowd
(Matt. 7:13-14)
We can choose:
*build on the rock or sand (Matt. 7:24-27)
*serve God or riches (Matt. 6:24)
*be numbered with the sheep or the goats (Matt. 25:32-33)
God gives us the greates chocie, the eternal choice with eternal circumstances.
Ever wonder why there are 3 crosses? Jesus in the middle and the two criminals on each side. One criminal repented and chose Jesus, the other chose to mock Jesus. They had a choice and so do we.
Doesn't the shepherd elave the 99 sheep? Doesn't the housewife sweep the house for the lost coin? Yes, but remember the father of the prodigal, he does nothing.
-the sheep was lost innocently
-the coin was lost irresponsibly
-the prodigal left intentionally
There are times when God sends thunder to stir us, blessings to lure us, but then there is nothing but silence as he HONORS (emphasis mine) us with the freedom to choose where we spend eternity.
Have we been given any greater priviledge than that of choice? The gift of freewill can offset any mistake we have made.
One of the criminals prayed and Jesus loved him enough to save him, when the other mocked him, Jesus loved him enough to let him. He allowed him the choice and he does the same for us.
This was such a profound chapter and really moved me to such an awesome awe of my God. That he honors us with such a gift. If giving us Jesus wasn't enough, he then gives us the freedom to choose where we will spend eternity. We have freewill, he doesn't force us to do anything, we must come to him on our own. It is such a sign of love that I hope to pass onto my children. It really helps my focus to remember that I am nothing more than a seed planter and my God will water and grow what is needed, then they can choose.
On the other hand it also makes me want to shout from the mountain tops so that people will make the right decision. It makes my heart melt with compassion for those who have chosen not to follow God. I hope that my actions each day will act out my faith in God and be a light to those who need me to be for them.
Have a blessed Thursday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Background