Wednesday, March 18, 2009

True Repentance

This past Sunday at church our pastor was talking about repentance and what it looked like. I am always seeking those "golden nuggets" that God uses to speak to my heart. And while so much was said, my heart was awoken.

Here is what stirred my heart:

1.) Are we as concerned for others as we are for ourselves?
I personally have a hard time with that one. It isn't that I don't care, but I am home and keep myself at home that the only people I have time for are my family and close friends. I don't do much as far as reaching out to others that I don't know. Jesus died for me while I was still a sinner, even now He loves me as I sin, so my concern should be to share that love with others.

2.) True repentance is followed by action.
This one was a big one. I keep falling into the same rut, doing the same things over and over again. I feel like I will never overcome what God is asking of me. But if I am really sorry for what I do, and do it again, am I really sorry at all. Action is hard. It is easy for me to be harsh, demanding, and selfish, but to lay those aside and take what God is calling me to do, well that seems impossible. Ah, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." So my being truly repentant is shared by my action.

3.) Because of God's heart we should want to share it with others.
I have never been a big talker. Just keep to myself and hopefully my actions would speak louder than my words. But if I really think about it, there are times I want to shout of God's love from the mountain tops, I want the whole world to know. And isn't that what God wants us to do. To share it with others, share our testimony, how we hope when others don't. To share what makes us different. That glow, that smile, the patience with our children, the unwaivering faith in God. God really spoke to me, to not be shy, but be brave and speak for Him.

So these are the things that stirred my heart. Made me wake up and smile. And though the task seems large, it will be worth in the end when I can walk a little more like Jesus. We are called to be holy because he is holy. I am hardly perfect and confess many times during the day of my many sins, but I am ready to be transformed and just love my Lord with His strength.

Have a blessed Wednesday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Background