Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Shepherd Bread

I love making new bread. Sourdough just hasn't worked out for me, so I tried this bread with a biga which is similar to sourdough. Oh my was it so tasty! And so easy. The only thing I would do different is shape it but not in a loaf pan.
Night Before:
1/4 tsp yeast
1 c. warm water
2 c. flour
Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for baking day. If it isn't used in 24 hours, refrigerate.
Baking Day:
Add 1/2 tsp yeast, 2 c. warm water, 1 tbs salt. Mix in 4-5 c. flour (white, wheat, or 1/2 and 1/2). Knewad, place in greased bowl, let rise until double in size, about an hour in warm oven. Shape into 2 loaves and let rise until doubled. Preheat oven to 475- then turn down to 400 once you place bread in oven. Bake 40-45 min. Let rest 10 min, then place on cooling rack.


This is the biga the following morning.

This is the flour and other ingredients being stirred together. My lovely assistant Emma.

This is the dough being placed in a well greased bowl to rise in the oven.


I am sorry I don't have the pic of the fluffy dough, but here it is shaped in the loaf pans. Next time like I said I will just shape them and let them rise on a cookie sheet.


The final product! The crust is crispy and the inside is so chewy and delicious. I will definitely add this to my bread recipes. It doesn't rise fast like a regular bread, so I realy think just shaping it will work out great!
I hope you will try it.
Oh, by the way I strained my 2nd batch of yogurt with a tea cloth and the thicker yogurt was definitely a hit. Now, what to do with all the whey left behind. I will do some research and let you know.
Hope you enjoy.






2 comments:

Pam said...

Katheryn, this bread looks so good. I need the inspiration to bake bread again. I used to grind my wheat and make bread all the time. I wanted to the the "healthy homemade everything Mama", then life changed and I am so exhausted. We seem to go go go, but I can't seem to get the time to do those things I always used to cherish. But every once in a while the inspiration hits me and especially when I read posts like this. Thanks
Love Ya Lots
Pam

Yeshua Faith said...

Looks yummy!
Thank you for sharing this recipe! ;o)

> hug <
Kathy in TN

Post a Comment

Background