Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Best French Bread Ever!!

Here is the recipe first:
2 1/2 c. flour
1 c. warm water
1 tblsp yeast
1 tblsp sugar
1 tsp salt
The secret to really great bread is making sure it has a safe place to rise. So I always preheat my oven to 200 with a pan of water and then turn it off.
So here are all the ingredients getting ready to get yummy. Remember to proof your yeast by placing the warm water, sugar and yeast together in a cup, if the yeast is frothy then you know it is ready, if it isn't, well, try again using warmer water, or your yeast might be old.

Once the mixture has been kneaded. I usually just place it in the same bowl with a quick spray of Pam around the bowl.

Cover it with a damp towel and in the oven it goes...see my pan of water? It works wonders. Also, for this recipe, keep it in the oven even while baking, it will make the crust extra crispy and the inside just delicious and chewy.


Once the bread has risen. I didn't get to take a picture of my loaves rising, however, here is another secret. I use a large cookie sheet and then my small loaf pans in the middle between them to help keep the shape of a loaf. Otherwise you might end up with misshapen loaves. Score the tops with 1/4" diagnal slits.


So this is the finished product, ready to be devoured with dinner. Tonight home made bolognase with garlic cheese bread. It will be delicious.
Also, I always double this recipe and make 2 loaves. If I start it at 3:30pm it is ready by about 5:30pm to eat. Just to give you an idea as to how easy it is.
I hope you enjoy making it.





1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

WOW!!! That looks BEAUTIFUL! I am thinking you need to enter this into a contest! And I haven't even tasted it yet! :P I cannot wait to try this Katheryn. Thank you for the instructions and the pictures :)

Post a Comment

Background