Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Home Made Yogurt...Delicious!

Home Made Yogurt
So easy and so delicious!
Here is the recipe first:
8 cups of whole milk
1/2 c. of good plain yogurt
Place the 8 cups of whole milk in a crock pot on low heat for 2.5 hours. Shut heat off and leave alone for 3 hours. After the 3 hours put in the good plain yogurt (once you have made some you can use 1/2 cup of your own yogurt as the starter), mix gently, leave for 7-8 hours. I usually start it in the morning and by 9-10:00pm I put it in the containers and refrigerate for the morning.


Milk getting all warm and delicious for the starter.

The milk I used, you can use any kind, but sometimes it is nice to know.

Cutting up fresh strawberries for the yogurt. You can use frozen, but these were on sale and so red and ripe, I couldn't refuse.


Mmmmm. Strawberries.



All cut up waiting for their sugar bath.


The sugar...I added a little more than I would because personally I am not a fan of sour plain yogurt, so to sweeten it up a bit I added a little more sugar.

This morning as I was making parfaits. Mmmm.


And here is the finished product. Now I would have shown you what I looked like eating it, however, I didn't really want to embarass myself with the drippings down the face. But it was absolutely delicious and I will definitely be making this more often in our home. I made 1/2 gallon of yogurt for about $1.50. That doesn't include the strawberries or any other fresh fruit or the granola. But for yogurt that is a great deal, especially for a large family that loves yogurt.
I will be hopefully posting our home made bread tomorrow. Later on this week I will post our home school schedule. I get a lot of requests on how we do it, especially with little ones on our feet, and I will share how it works for us.
Have a blessed day!







4 comments:

tberry29 said...

I have been wanting to make homemade yogurt..I have seen it on several blogs. You just made it look a little more easier than the others..I think I will try this tommorow. oh btw I'm Trish..Just recently found your blog and really enjoy it ; )

Elizabeth said...

O thank you Katheryn for sharing! I can't believe its that simple! You made it look delicious indeed! I love the granola and strawberries! Can't wait for your next posts :P

Katheryn said...

I hope you all enjoy it. It isn't as sour as regular plain yogurt but really tasty. It is a lot thinner than regular yogurt so if you like it thicker just strain it through cheesecloth or you can add some cornstarch. Haven't tried the cornstarch, but the cheesecloth works great.

Marie said...

Oh, the parfaits look amazing. I will have to surprise Jon maybe on his birthday. He LOVES yogurt especially fresh homemade yogurt. Thanks for the inspiration.
Love you.
Marie

Post a Comment

Background