Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Homeschool

I figured I would start with homeschool as my first entry of the things the Lord has taught me. I hope this will encourage you along your road wherever God may lead you.

I knew I wanted to homeschool the moment I had Hunter. I couldn't dare leave him and it was such a burden, the funny thing is I didn't even know the Lord at that time. I wasn't saved. But my heart yearned to always have him near.

Once my divorce happened unfortunately that couldn't be a reality until everything was finalized through the courts, because the court system frowns on homeschooling. So I had to send him off to kindergarten.

After everything was finalized, he was home with me. First grade on the way and teaching Lauren to read and the world was great, and Emma was a litte one just rolling around. It was awesome. I will tell you, I have never, even on my worst day ever wished for my children to be anywhere else, but with me. That isn't to say that others have been there and I know of a few, but God didn't make me like that and though our days aren't always smooth and perfect, I couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

Homeschooling was a burden put on my heart by the Lord long before I knew him. I was saved and it was still a burden, I followed what the Lord has called me to do and I feel completely blessed. I couldn't imagine my life any other way.

We use mainly textbooks because I want my children to be independant learners who are eager to learn. I also don't want to be the one that leads them in any direction, but that they feel responsible and then held accountable for their work. That leaves me time to cook, clean up and care for the little ones that aren't quite ready for table time. I can also be a better manager of my time with textbooks because I can easily figure out how much work needs to be done each day in order to finish school at the right time.

I also enjoy homeschooling because it lends itself to me being able to see where they may be lacking and stop any further momentum and work on what we need to till it is mastered. No where is any child ever going to get that kind of education.

I have been able to teach my children to read, to do math, to do chores, clean up and they are each other's best friends even though like all siblings have their moments. I get to help them with character development, read the Bible, pray, teach the piano and so much more.

Homeschooling has bought our family closer, it has taken me at times out of my comfort zone, it has taught me a lot of my sinful nature, and shows me each day how dependant I am on my God. Because without Him I wouldn't be able to do half of what I do.

My husband is a wonderful support who loves his family in ways I am so proud of. He truly is a man of God trying so hard, even though he works out of the home. He loves to play with the kids, wrestle, read books, and play outside with them, which gives me a little quiet time.

Homeschooling gives me the opportunity to protect my children from things I don't want them to know or see. Though I can't protect them from everything as I am learning, I will not send them into the lion's den until they are ready. I want to equip them the best that I can for the world, and fill them with so much of God's love that nothing else will matter to them

Am I perfect? Some think so. :) Am I saint? (I hear that one a lot). No I am not. I get angry, yell, lose my cool, get impatient, frustrated, and most of all I am selfish. But I choose to obey the Lord in what He has asked me to do and I see his blessing and most of all his pruning me and growing me to shape me more like him.

I hope that if you have the choice you will weigh the choices carefully. But for our family it has been such a tremendous blessing I couldn't imagine anyone else choosing anything different because I don't want anyone else to miss out. Our children grow so fast and before we know it they are gone, I feel blessed that I get to spend a lot more extra time with them.

God bless.

Any questions or comments please leave them, I would be happy to share about our curriculum as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Background