Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Clothing




Wow! There is a lot on this one, but I will try and keep it brief. :) When I started my homeschool venture it was just me a few others that I knew. I went to my first curriculum fair and there I was introduced to families that were very conservative. Because I didn't have any in my circle it never really bothered me.
After our short stent in Colorado, we moved here to beautiful Tucson. I started homeschooling and with that venture came a meeting a whole new plethera of people. All of a sudden I was surrounded by very conservative women who love the Lord and their families. I talked to them, they became my friends and along the way, I started doubting my own "godliness."
Because I wasn't too sure which curriculum would work best we started in ATI (Bill Gothard, Advanced Training Institute). The curriculum is amazing! But it is ultra conservative as is his thoughts about child training, clothing, music, etc. So here I was surrounded by very modest women and I was far from that.
So what happened, well, I started thinking I needed to be like them. Why? To fit in, to be accepted, because I wasn't too sure I loved God the same way that they did. So for 2 years I struggled, making my kids wear certain things, myself as well, along the way loosing all that I was. My husband sat by just watching as I figured it all out.
It took over 2 years to finally realize that this isn't what God had in store for me or my family. We are all created in the image of God, He spent time creating, forming, and shaping each of us. If He wanted us to be all the same, He would have done that, but He didn't. We are His precious little works of art walking around for Him. To bring Him glory and no one else. So here I was so preoccupied with myself and fitting in, and not knowing, doubting, that I lost my sense of self and my husband lost the woman that he fell in love with.
God took me on a journey where I now am dependant on Him and what He has called me to do for my family. Jeans, t-shirts, tanks, flip flops, hats, working out, bathing suits, vacations, sports, etc. are all things that our family partakes in. Sometimes we stand out, but if I am going to stand out I would rather do it for God than for myself or anyone else. There is true joy in the freedom in crying out to God, listening to Him and following what He has asked of you.
So I guess as I learned and grew in this area, I don't think anyone is better or worse than anyone else, we are all obeying what God has called us to do for our family. I have a better understanding and an acceptance and confidence in where I have been and where I am going.
I pray that each of you will hit your knees if you feel led to go through what I did. But most of all, that you would consult your husband. You see it is our husband's that lead our families. The husband is held accountable before God, it wasn't my husband's decision, but mine. So please pray and consult your head and get blessings before moving forward. But most of all, don't do it for anyone else but the Lord. He has a purpose for us all and it isn't the same as the next person.
God bless.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Great post Katheryn. I loved what you had to say. Thanks for sharing :)

I hope you are feeling well and everyone is doing good. Much love!

Elizabeth~

Nicole said...

Just found your blog and I LOVE it! I'm glad you came to your senses with the ATI thing. It is seen as many as a cult (don't want to offend anyone but I've heard soooo many bad things about it!). We are members of a fundamentalist Christian church (ultra conservative) and I've felt the same way at times. Luckily they are not judgmental when I wear pants and chop my hair off from time to time =)

Marie said...

Great post Katheryn!
Thanks for sharing this learned wisdom with us all.

I wanted to tell you that I have been using your sweet quilt you made for little Zane as an example for me because I'm trying to figure out how to quilt. You did such a great job on it.

Post a Comment

Background