Wednesday, February 24, 2010

How to Homeschool?


I think that sometimes as homeschool families people feel that you have it all together. Well, I am about to break that myth. My life is hardly put together. I fall apart at the seams, I get frustrated and angry, I even at times raise my voice. My kids make huge messes (especially as we are trying to walk out the door), they yell, are rude and sometimes I see absolutely no fruit in their lives. I get discouraged, feel alone, and wonder how to get it all done.
Then I snap out of my pity party, pray to God for his grace and help and away I go.
I struggle with trying to make learning fun. I want my days to be full of laughter and fun, but then it doesn't turn out that way and I feel like a failure.
Right now we are going through that struggle right now. SOS is a great learning tool. As a matter of fact I am quite amazed at my children's curriculum and how there is so much potential to really master thier subjects.
Do I believe that homeschooling should be fun, not all the time. My reasoning behind that is as adults, life isn't alway fun. My children must make the choice to learn and be joyful. There are many character qualities to be gained from overcoming something difficult and then succeeding at it. Life is full of suprises, but what is important to me is the heart at which they are to handle their suprises. I don't want grumbling and mumbling spirits, but one of joy and thankfulness.
Homeschooling isn't everyone's calling, I do believe that the Lord has us at different places to show His glory to everyone. But if you have been called it is truly one of the most rewarding and difficult tasks given to a daddy and mommy. I love it and wouldn't trade my life for anyone else's.
I don't have all the answers and I don't think that is a bad thing. But I do serve a God is who is awesome and all powerful, who is never too busy to hear me (but it is my job to cry out to Him), who works all things out for my good, and loves me so much.
God bless.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Background