Monday, February 28, 2011

Bread


This is why I love making my own bread. I really would like to purchase wheat berries and grind with a grinder, but unfortunately, it is way too expensive for us right now. But I do buy my wheat flour organic from a co-op. So, today was a yummy day and the house smells so delicious. 2 loaves of wheat for sandwiches, 2 cinnamon loaves for breakfast toast or french toast and sticky buns...for my husband who loves them.



THE BREAD BECKERS BREAD & ROLLS


1-1/2 cups hot water
1 cup cold milk
(The resulting temperature will be lukewarm so as not to kill the yeast)
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
3 eggs

4-1/2 tsp. instant yeast
6 to 7 1/4 cups freshly milled flour
1 Tbs. salt

Combine water, milk, oil, honey and eggs in the bowl of the Electrolux Assistent. Add yeast and about 5 cups of the flour. Mix on medium speed until well blended. Add the salt. Continue to mix adding the flour 1/2 cup at a time. Bring the Assistent's arm into the center and out a few times between each addition of four. When the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl enough flour has been added. Lock the roller about 1/2" from the side of the bowl (or more if you double or triple the recipe). Turn the speed to high and allow to knead 8-10 minutes, or until the dough, forms a smooth ball . Let rise until double. With a single or double batch, you may let the dough rise in the bowl. With a triple recipe, turn the dough out onto a floured surface to let rise.

After rising, form into loaves or other shapes using any of the variations that follow.

I like to braid my loaves. To braid, divide the dough for one loaf into three pieces and roll into ropes. Braid, tucking the ends under. Place in greased loaf pan. Let rise until at least double in size. Bake loaves at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Recipe makes 3 medium size loaves or about 30 dinner rolls. (this is from the recipe itself, not something I do.)


*Note: One package of yeast is about 2-1/2 tsp. of yeast. With instant yeast you do not need to sprinkle the yeast over the liquids. You may add it with the flour.

**Now with this recipe I do add about 1/2 cup of gluten as well. To make all that I did today, I doubled the recipe. The bread freezes really well too. I just wrap it up in a plastic bag. I also do it all by hand and no mixers. It is great exercise. :)

I hope this helps encourage you to make your own and enjoy every single bite, it really does taste so much better.

God bless and enjoy!!

3 comments:

Marie said...

Oh my!!! Can I come over right NOW???? That bread is getting me extremely hungry. How funny you post this, I have been looking up wheat grinders yesterday. It is so important I think to eat the real stuff rather than all that fake bread at the store. Thanks so much for your gorgeous inspiration!!

Thinking of you as you are nearing closer and closer to your delivery day. You are in my prayers!
LOVE You ALL so much!
~Marie

Elizabeth said...

Mmmm I can almost smell it! I don't know where you get the energy. Maybe I could barrow some from you :P A move, a new home, a baby and that delicious bread!

I do hope you guys are doing well and can relax in a few short weeks. I can only imagine how tough it has been with packing and moving and you getting ready to have your next little treasure.

Much love to you all!

~Elizabeth

Pam said...

It looks great Katheryn. Yummmm. I think with all this bread we're going to have to have some sort of party. Many blessings for your upcoming move.
Much Love,
Pam

Post a Comment

Background