Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Peaceful Home

If you want to know how I homeschool, just look at the picture below. The Bible is my one and greatest resource. Everything else really is just filling in the blanks. I love our curriculum. We use ATI for our biggest part and then I have Lauren on SOS (Switched On Schoolhouse) for the other stuff. I love that it allows her to work independently and I can also set the grade expectations and have her do it over again. Until 3rd grade the others work in workbooks. Which is a nice way to really work on handwriting and reading.

Homeschooling to me doesn't always resonate a peaceful home. Especially when you have 2 little ones running around. So taking the advice of some wonderful, godly women I have decided to work in "sitting quiet" training. Though for me Mady might be a little too small, she is doing really well. D and Mady both sit at the table with Lauren and Emma, we do our Bible which takes us about 40 min and then our Wisdom Book, which by then I let them get up. But in all honesty, they are doing wonderful, we can get through the Bible very quietly. I think I get more disturbances from my big people then my littles.
I see funny little things like the one above all the time. But I have to tell you, when my children are placed in akward situations, they don't shy away, but really enjoy talking and sharing with other people, young and old alike. They are wonderfully social and truly enjoy being around others. So when I see that, I always wonder, how do I want my children to be, like others their age, or to be able to handle themselves with multiple ages...homeschooling allows me to do that.
How do I find joy in my house? A schedule. For a long while because of the pregnancy and my lack of energy and motivation I found my children squabbling all the time, in front of the tv and really not handling themselves in a godly manner. I knew what they should be doing, but really didn't have the desire to do it. But this past week I made myself create a new schedule, chore sheet and some other encouragement for the kids and viola! I have a new peaceful house and it has only been 2 days! So if you are discouraged, feeling a little down, have no energy, take heart, make yourself do it, I promise it will be the best thing you could have done!

In the next few days I plan on posting something on a little more serious note. Mainly about the challenges of being a Christian, divorced and having one child living away in the world. It is really what we have been going through as a family and the interesting dynamics. If you know of anyone in the same situation, please have them stop by, I hope to encourage them and take heart. Have a blessed day.

1 comments:

Pam said...

Such a nice post Katheryn, I know exactly what you mean about a peaceful home. It is definitely always a work in progress to keep the peace prevalent, especially as you say, when there are little bitty ones in abundance. Schedules do help.... can't always keep them strictly, but it is that routine that builds momentum. Love your curriculum.
Nice to catch up. Happy Birthday by the way.
Love Pam

Post a Comment

Background